The recent increase in oil and natural gas prices has resulted in a dramatic resurgence of drilling and oilfield service activity within the United States. It is the same in New Mexico, one of the largest oil and gas producing states. Along with the increase in oilfield activity, there has been an increase in oilfield accidents.
Oilfield accidents often occur when companies fail to take reasonable steps to avoid accidents. Most accidents are preventable and occur because of negligence, improper employee training, improper maintenance of equipment, or equipment failure. If you were seriously injured or you lost a loved one in an oil field accident, contact Sanders, Bruin, Coll & Worley, P.A. today for a free consultation with an experienced New Mexico personal injury attorney.
Oilfield injuries can be severe and result in serious long-term disability that prevents the injured person from returning to work, resulting in lost wages. Although strict safety standards are often in place to prevent oil field accidents, oil field workers suffer on-the-job injuries too frequently. The most common accidents occur as a result of:
• Overworked employees;
• Defective or inappropriate equipment;
• Inadequate safety programs;
• Toxic fumes;
• Inexperienced employees;
• Tank explosion;
• Substance abuse;
• Inadequate policies and procedures;
• Fires; and
A detailed investigation of these events should focus on determining who is responsible. In many cases, there are multiple parties who have varying degrees of responsibility. A thorough investigation can help overcome some of the obstacles in proving liability.
There are several possible scenarios for an oilfield accident. Some of these may be:
• If your injury is caused by a co-worker, then your only action may be for workers’ compensation benefits. You will probably need a workers’ compensation lawyer. We handle workers’ compensation cases.
• If you are injured at work and your employer does not carry workers’ compensation insurance, you may have a case against your employer. Our lawyers can investigate the accident to determine your rights.
• If you are injured by a piece of equipment that fell off a trailer, you could apply for workers’ compensation from your employer and still make a case against the delivery company.
• If your injury was caused by a dangerous or defective product, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the company that manufactured the product.
Different remedies may be available to you whenever the facts change. It is important for your lawyer to learn the details of what happened.
If you or a loved one has been injured or if a family member has been killed as a result of an oilfield or industrial accident here in New Mexico, do not hesitate to call Sanders, Bruin, Coll & Worley, P.A. to discuss your case. Even if the employer carries workers’ compensation insurance, many times other parties are responsible for the injuries and the only way to determine if you have a claim is through consulting with a lawyer at Sanders, Bruin, Coll & Worley, P.A. With personal experience in the “oil patch”, we can help. We have knowledge of the industry.
Located in Roswell, New Mexico, we can meet with you at our law firm, or in some cases, we will travel to meet you. Contact us at any time for a free consultation with an attorney experienced in the area of industrial and oilfield accidents.